What is Quality Use of Medicines?Quality Use of Medicines (QUM) is one of the central objectives of Australia’s National Medicines Policy.
- Selecting management options wisely;
- considering the place of medicines in treating illness and maintaining health
- recognising that there may be better ways than medicine to manage many disorders
- Choosing suitable medicines if a medicine is considered necessary;
- the individual
- the clinical condition
- risks and benefits
- dosage and length of treatment
- any co-existing conditions
- other therapies
- monitoring considerations
- costs for the individual, the community and the health system as a whole; and
- Using medicines safely and effectively.
- monitoring outcomes
- minimising misuse, over-use and under-use
- improving people’s ability to solve problems related to medication, such as negative effects or managing multiple medications.
The term ‘medicine’ includes prescription, non-prescription and complementary medicines.
Quality Use of Medicines in AustraliaAustralia’s National Strategy for Quality Use of Medicines outlines the principles, partners, building blocks and approach for achieving QUM in Australia. The Executive Summary brochure together with the National Strategy are intended to assist the QUM partners in becoming more aware of the QUM policy framework and approach, and enable them to integrate their own activities with the Strategy.
The goal of the National Strategy for QUM is to make the best possible use of medicines to improve health outcomes for all Australians.
This recognises that many people maintain their health without using medicines, while for others, medicines play an important role in maintaining health, preventing illness and curing disease.
Benefits of Quality Use of MedicinesThe implementation and evaluation of the National Strategy for QUM will yield substantial benefits in healthcare services and the wider community through better health outcomes, better medicine use, increased national productivity and quality of life. It will be on these end points that the success of the National Strategy will be judged.
Printable ResourcesQuality Use of Medicines (QUM) strategy
The National Strategy for Quality Use of Medicines - Executive Summary Brochure
National Medicines Policy Document
If you are having trouble downloading the above documents, please contact the Quality Use of Medicines team for a copy to be emailed to you.