National Drug Strategy 2010-2015 Roundtable Consultation Report
10 Governance and Engagement Arrangements
The participants at each roundtable consultation were asked to consider and discuss the following questions:
- Could the IGCD and MCDS more effectively access external expert advice, and if so how?
- How can structures and processes under the NDS more effectively engage with the sectors outside of health, law enforcement and education?
- Which sectors will be particularly important for the NDS to engage with?
The roundtable participants raised the need for IGCD and MCDS to better engage with the NGO sector and the broader community. Participants sought more transparency around roles and decision making processes relating to the NDS. One option put forward was ensuring that peak bodies representing the alcohol and drug sector were provided a place within the governance framework, which would better enable the flow of communications across the sector.
Participants also noted the need for better engagement with :
- Indigenous representatives – particularly via a formal role in the NDS governance structure;
- consumers (including families);
- peak bodies representing the NGO sector; and