Ministerial Council on Drug Strategy
Under the Framework, the Ministerial Council on Drug Strategy (MCDS) functions as the peak policy and decision-making body in relation to licit and illicit drugs in Australia. The Council is represented by the Australian and State and Territory Ministers of Health and Law Enforcement, including the Minister responsible for Education. The role of the Council is to determine national policies and programs intended to reduce drug related harm within the Australian community.
The Ministerial Council is supported by the Intergovernmental Committee on Drugs (IGCD). The IGCD provides policy advice to Ministers on the full range of drug-related matters and is responsible for implementing the National Drug Strategic Framework. This Committee consists of senior officers representing health and law enforcement in each Australian jurisdiction and people with expertise in identified priority areas including representatives of the Australian Customs Service, the Ministerial Council on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs and the Department of Education, Science and Training.
The Ministerial Council on Drug Strategy meets twice a year, usually in May and November and a Communique of the outcomes of the meeting is made publicly available.
Objectives of the MCDSThe objectives of the MCDS are to:
- Provide a mechanism for regular consultation between Australian Government, State and Territory health and law enforcement Ministers on programs and policies in relation to licit and illicit drugs in Australia;
- Promote a consistent and coordinated national approach to policy development and implementation in relation to all drugs issues; and
- Consider matters submitted to the Council, through individual Council members, by the Intergovernmental Committee on Drugs (IGCD).
- MCDS Communiques
- Ministerial Council on Drug Strategy membership at April 2010
- Draft MCDS communique
Draft MCDS communiqué
- National alcohol sales data project
National alcohol sales data project
- National precursor control framework - final
National Framework For The Control Of Precursor Chemicals And Equipment