National Drug Strategy
The National Drug Strategy (NDS) and its forerunner, the National Campaign Against Drug Abuse (NCADA), have been operating since 1985. Both NCADA and NDS were created with strong bipartisan political support and involve a cooperative venture between the Commonwealth and state/territory governments as well as the non-government sector.
WelcomeThe National Drug Strategy, a cooperative venture between Australian, state and territory governments and the non-government sector, is aimed at improving health, social and economic outcomes for Australians by preventing the uptake of harmful drug use and reducing the harmful effects of licit and illicit drugs in our society.
On this website you will find information about the National Drug Strategy and the advisory structures that support the strategy; links to the current drug campaign sites with information on initiatives at national, state/territory or community levels; the key research and data components supporting the strategy; publications; and key links to relevant government, professional organisations and drug-related portal sites.
- Public consultation for draft National Drug Strategy 2016-2025
- National Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander Peoples Drug Strategy 2014-2019
- National Alcohol and other Drug Workforce Development Strategy 2015-2018
- Framework for a National Response to New Psychoactive Substance
- National Guidelines for Medication-Assisted Treatment of Opioid Dependence
- National Pharmaceutical Drug Misuse Framework for Action (2012-2015)
- Updated Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders in Australia: An Update
- Australian secondary students' use of tobacco, alcohol, and over-the-counter and illicit substances in 2011
- National Tobacco Strategy 2012-2018
- National Drug Strategy 2010-2015
Public consultation for draft National Drug Strategy 2016-2025The Intergovernmental Committee on Drugs (IGCD) invites feedback on the draft National Drug Strategy 2016-2025.
National Drug Strategy 2010-2015The Ministerial Council on Drug Strategy approved the National Drug Strategy 2010-2015 at its meeting held in Perth on 25 February 2011.
The strategy is the result of an extensive consultation process that began in December 2009 with the release of a consultation paper and concluded in December 2010 with the close of comments on a draft of the strategy.
Page currency, Latest update: 30 September, 2015